Sunday, April 19, 2009

How to search on Twitter...and why.


When it comes to search, I'm starting to like Twitter more than Google. 

Why? When I search on Google, their software tries to guess what I want, sometimes it works GREAT, and sometimes I have to spend 15 minutes searching for something that should be super easy to find.

When I use Twitter to search for something, I am connected to a PERSON that recommened or wrote/made/recorded something I want. I can tweet with them, email them, call them, video chat, IM, exchange notes on social networks...whew.

Twitter decentralized the internet. If you use Twitter right you can connect with whatever you want.

WHY should you know how to search on Twitter?

As more people use Twitter, as a brand you need to be ahead of the curve. Start reading more than just my blog is step one. Experiment with sites like www.daymix.com/coredjs so you can familarize your self with user trends and search techniques.

Here's some Twitter search examples:

My family is trying to decide on getting either a Doberman or Rhodesian Ridgeback when we move to MIA this summer. I wanted more info so I searched Twitter for both dogs, to connect with actual owners!

Let's say I was a ummmm DJ. A DJ that was having a party in Chicago. I have a urban clothing sponsor, and a vodka sponsor. I would use http://search.twitter.com/advanced to get these results.

As a DJ or Event promoter, you can use Twitter to contact people directly. If you communicate using regular communication protocols, not sounding all spammy you can not only get followers, but develop real business and social relationships.

Why do I do this? Because we are launching one of the hottest mobile projects you have seen in the near future, and I want to show and prove that I enjoy what you do, I appreciatate what you do, and I am in your corner.

Empowering the DJs and Event Promoters is one of the things we need to do to keep culture alive. If we leave it to the corporate bloodsuckers, they are going to continue to pervert the culture. Imagine if a DJ could break a record from an independent label, and promote a premium mobile widget, acquiring 20,000 customers paying $2.99 a month, with tons of fans on the different social networks. The artist then does tours to the venues in the network that was set up using twitter, etc (kinnda like the chittlin circuit back in the days). You can ask cats like Fab and Planet Asia. A record deal is not a pre-requisite to success, sometimes a record deal can hold you back.

If you are already a successful DJ or Event Planner, you already have a social network of real people that enjoy what you do, and trust you to be the person that tells them whats cool, and whats not. You are the Alpha Tastemaker of culture. There are people out here that MUST HAVE every mixtape you make, want to know about every party you DJ, every remix you produce, etc. The question is how do you make a comfortable living from digital media? I'll give you a hint...it's not by selling music. Its all about selling your brand.

I'll be dropping jewels regularly on how you can make moves using web based services, all questions and comments are welcome. I don't pretend to know everything, if you have suggestions or would like to contribute a guest commentary, please contact me.




1 comment:

  1. This is my first time I visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work.

    Thank You
    www.rnbresearch.com

    ReplyDelete